Gentlemen's Shaving Soap
Enjoy our old school with a new twist Shave Soaps from our Natures Bath & Body mens line, David Lee Naturals.
Our Gentlemen's Shaving Soap is handcrafted to give you that perfect lather for a close shave. This product works well when using our natural boar haired bristle shaving brush (order here www.naturesbathbody.com).
Shaving soaps have existed since the early 1800’s with the first being mass produced in 1840. Shaving soap is a hard soap that is whipped into a rich, thick lather using a shaving brush. It has largely been replaced with canned shaving cream in a gel or foam form, however, die-hard traditionalists will use nothing other than this age-old method.
Our traditional shave soap is sold and packaged as a round puck. The bottom of the puck is rounded and to be used right within the tin it comes in.
The following is an outline for the steps involved when using shaving soaps:
- Prepping – For shaving soap in the form of a puck, one first fills a sink with water a little on the hot side, but not so that it is scalding. Some men even prefer to shave after taking a shower as the warm water helps to soften the facial hair. Next, make sure that the brush has been soaked in warm water and then place it upside down until the excess water has stopped dripping but do not shake or try and wring the brush out as this makes the bristles too dry.
- Lathering –Now it’s time to make the lather. To create the lather for shaving, firmly grasp the shaving brush and vigorously begin swirling it over the surface of shaving soap. This will cause most of the soap to completely coat the bristles on the brush. This step takes about 15 to 50 spins or swirls and is dependent upon one’s personal preference as to the thickness desired. The more swirls the thicker the lather. It is important to swirl gently but firmly without smashing the brush into the shaving soap as this damages the bristles. An alternative some men find useful is to begin the process in the scuttle or mug and then finish it in their hand.
- Application –Once you have the desired thickness of Shave Soap lather you want on the brush, begin brushing the shaving soap onto your face. Be sure to cover every bit of your face and neck that you intend to shave. Brush a fair amount of shaving soap on your face and neck by moving the brush in an up and down fashion. Before you begin shaving you should have an opaque, thick layer of shaving cream. You are now ready to shave.
- Shaving – now pick a top rated razor and start shaving down starting on the left cheek. You will want to rinse it out after each pass until you are done completely shaved. It’s really a standard shave like you normally would.
Learning to use shaving soap does take practice and it has its good and bad points:
- Benefits – The greatest benefit is that of greater hydration than that is provided by shaving soaps over their counterparts such as canned foam, gels or creams. Additionally, the natural oils on the face and whiskers must first be removed. The oil is removed from the whiskers by the shaving soap in combination with the brush and allows for water to penetrate the whiskers. The end result is that the whiskers are more easily cut and removed than by using canned creams, gels or foams. Furthermore, when traveling, shaving soaps are not restricted by the TSA and are permitted in carry-on baggage. They also have less of an ecological impact on the environment than their counterparts.
Ingredients: Saponified Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Castor Oil, Bentonite Clay, Essential or Fragrance Oils.
SCENTS WE OFFER:
ALL-NATURAL SIGNATURE BLEND: This is our most popular, and most complex blend. This will be your new favorite. We use a unique blend of essential oils including
Litsea Cubeba, Cedarwood, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Sweet Orange, and Lavender.
ALL-NATURAL MANLY MINT: A sexy blend of Peppermint, Tea Tree, & Sweet Orange Essential Oils.
ALL-NATURAL UNSCENTED: This blend has no added fragrance.
ALL-NATURAL PATCHOULI: Sweet-spicy, herbaceous, peppery, somewhat resembling clove and cinnamon, slightly woody,powerful and exotic, warm.
ALL-NATURAL WILD SPICE: Has top notes of warm cinnamon leaf and slight undertones of tea tree, orange, and peppermint essential oils.
SANDALWOOD: Classic oriental woody note fragrance oil that has milky, soft, sturdy, rich, with a green top note and a satisfying lingering scent.
For external use only. This product has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, prevent or cure any disease. It is paraben, gluten and dye free. No animal testing.